Sunday, August 17, 2008

It's like being a vigilante, but with fewer bloodstains to wash out of your clothing

I've just been made aware of something called Baltimore John Watch and I think it's a great idea.  I'm personally pretty impressed that some people are willing to put themselves out there and identify the johns picking up prostitutes in their neighborhood.  It seems to be quite controversial (apparently the johns hate it, the prostitutes aren't big fans, the drug dealers hate it because the prostitutes have less money, and people who live nearby hate it because it's just causing the prostitutes to relocate).  In my opinion, it's great that someone is posting the license plate numbers and descriptions of people picking up known prostitutes while children are playing nearby.  I don't have a whole lot of pity for men paying $20 for a blow job from an addicted, diseased hooker.  More services for the prostitute themselves would be ideal, but it seems to me that compassion for the prostitutes and hate for the johns are not mutually exclusive.

No comments: