Tuesday, April 21, 2009

MARC Train Policies - I'm Sorry

So a recent comment on my blog post regarding the MTA's policies on MARC trains has shown that I didn't do enough in-depth research on the MARC train website.

The comment refutes my points pretty well.  Yes, I could stand behind the claim of "Well, it's not well publicized if I didn't know this information" - but when you're wrong, you're wrong.

I still believe that there's a better "MARC Train Tracker" that what exists, but I'll give them credit for trying.

The only thing I would really say is that if the MARC fare box recovery rate is 60% at peak travel times does not preclude a profitable weekend train.  I'd just like to see more of the analysis and assumptions that go into the calculations.  It seems like that math should all be published in a report somewhere.  There could be a nice section on the MARC website called "Latest MARC Reports" with summarizes of the information they provide to the MTA and to the State of Maryland.  Why would this information not be published?

So to everyone at the MTA and the MARC train (if you ever stumble upon this post) - I'm sorry, I spoke/blogged before I really had my facts straight.

No comments: