Monday, October 20, 2008

Bloc Party on the Financial Crisis

This evening I was listening to "Pioneers" from Bloc Party when I realized that this song is actually the script for the Bush administration on the economic crisis.

"If it can be broke then it can be fixed!"
...
"It's all under control.  It's all under control.  It's all under control."
...
"If it can be lost then it can be won!"
...
"All you need is time.  All you need is time.  All you need is.. time."
...
"We promised the world we'd tame it, what were we hoping for?"



I've heard this song so many times, but I never realized that they were talking about the financial crisis.  I guess the sense of deja vu was caused by the way they keep repeating "It's all under control!  It's all under control!" in that tone that tells you that it is anything but under control.

"So here we are reinventing the wheel" (a clear allusion to the seized up credit markets)

"I'm shaking hands with the hurricane" (that's how Bernanke and Fed must feel every day)

"It's a color that I can't describe, it's a language I don't understand" (John McCain on economics)

No comments: